9.13.2010

Partying when I should be sleeping

Today is day number 18 of being sick. I can't hear. I can't smell. I can hardly talk. Whatever I have caught is hanging onto me like I am the last person it is going to infect! Unfortunately but always Zealand caught this mean virus. He didn't know what to cry louder over: his two teeth that are making his gums swell to the size of gum balls, that he can't breathe, or that his nose is raw and bloody from being wiped every 30 seconds.
Zealand and I went to the doctor last Wednesday. The doctor quickly looked up my nose, in my ears, and at my throat and after looking at each of those he made a little sound like "hmm" or "ah ha". Funny, and what he had to tell me afterwards was even funnier. Double ear infection, bronchitis, and a sinus infection. WHHHHHHHHHat? That is just hilarious. No wonder I can't breathe and it feels like my head is going to explode. Every nook that can be stuffed is stuffed with mucus infected junk; every tube down to my chest is congested. I think Zealand has mostly kicked his sickness. Thank goodness!
I was thinking on the way home from the Doc? Is it fair?? Is it fair that I eat whole wheat, flaxseed, super food, fruit and veggies, drink the ocean all the daylong and seem to be the one to always get sick and Dan eats burgers , Dr peppers, and fudge striped cookies?
Lack of sleep maybe? It's probably my own darn fault. I had family come in from Washington, Texas, and Logan over Labor Day weekend and although my body was screaming for rest I was high tailing it from dawn until dusk. Cooking, baking, Birthday celebrations, bbqs, wii tournaments, motorcycle rides, eating out, watching cute cousins meet and play for the first time, Whoopie Pie eating, and some good old fashioned chats of "Remember When?" which is always my favorite. I'm going to have to say it was all well worth it. I miss my brother and his girls so much already! Come back soon!
Being sick is miserable. It turns me completely lackluster. And as a highly active individual that takes a lot! So I am thankful for my otherwise healthy body. I was beginning to become depressed. When I can't keep up my normal pace it gets me down. I was thinking what if my body was in some way impaired and I wasn't able to wake up in the morning make breakfast, get Zealand up and ready, go on my run, do the laundry, play with Zealand and on and on. Oh I can't even bear the thought. So if one good thing has come from being sick it has given me a little reminder of how blessed I am to have such a capable, healthy, body. That and maybe to listen more to my body when it is trying to tell me it needs rest.


P.s. Have you ever had a Whoopie Pie? It is my favorite treat that my Mom made growing up. She made the classic chocolate. But this weekend I tossed it up a bit and made the classic chocolate, vanilla whoopie with coconut cream filling and a vanilla whoopie with strawberry cream filling. RICH! I also found out that there is entire cook books dedicated to whoopies! Bakerella posted about one of those cook books. My fridge is actually stocked with them right now, I tend to make things in too large of quantities, half of them will end up in the trash. What a shame. Wasting is a pet peeve.

1 comment:

The Dunford Family said...

Oh, so sorry about the sickies coming to visit your house. Yuckity yuck. And also, there is no wasting necessary when the Dunfords live close by. Just sayin. Hope you feel better!