10.25.2010

Giving a man a fish feeds him for one meal. Teaching a man to fish feeds him for a lifetime.


After receiving a call early Wednesday morning about the passing of a friend my mind went spinning with thoughts: His poor daughter and family. What must all of them be going through? Memories of junior high and high school with this friend and then of course the question? Is this real, it doesn't seem real, but then the realization that so many have gone before him from the same cause of death that I suddenly wasn't surprised. I turned over thoughts of this individual and his family in my head all day and then it eventually led me to think of my own family. Fear crept in. If my generation is the generation of drugs, what will my own children surely face? I worry about this type of thing a lot. I think of all that I faced when I was a teenager and it makes my heart just hurt to think that my own children will have to face the same things and even worse. When I start to worry I start repeating "Fear is the opposite of faith" rapid fire in my mind. Then this leads me to remember the promises from Prophets and Apostles. The promises if we are diligent in keeping and teaching the fundamental principles of the gospel in our home that our families will have protection. Even though I have only one child I am already a firm believer in starting to plant tiny feet firmly in gospel truths at a very young age. Every morning Zealand knows that first thing when he wakes up he is going to have his sippy of juice and at least 3 verses out of the scriptures. He knows that we fold our arms and pray before each meal, although he is not yet able to wait to eat his food before we have finished the prayer (he usually digs in half way through). He knows that after stories each night that him, daddy, and I will kneel around the coffee table and have prayer. I often talk about the Savior and my love for him and tell Zealand that I know he lived with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ before he came to Daddy and I and that he is a special child of God and that he has a great purpose. I can't wait until he understands. I can't wait for him to find out for himself and find and develop his own testimony. I know that Zealand and all future children that I bare will face trials, adversity, heart breaks, make mistakes, all of which is part of agency, life, and our purpose here but I have faith and know that after all I can do and if I live up to my part of the promise the grace of God will protect my children, my family, and we will be together in the eternities.
So happy to know what I know and be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
Read this. It is really really great.

3 comments:

Jon and Julie Melton said...

Sarah, I loved this post. I really appreciated your words. You are just lovely in every way. Thanks for being such a great example. I love you. Julie

Dan and Heather said...

I loved this post too! Seriously made me want to cry. That is SO great that you guys have started now to do prayer and scriptures with your little guy.

Michelle @ Twig said...

i'm so sorry to hear about your friend. i too worry about the same things but am also so grateful to have a greater knowledge of a greater plan.
love you and love your new header too!