9.29.2010

Sock Lint

So this doesn't really have to do with the title of this post but this is the preface. Zealand and I go to Lap/Story time at the Orem Library every Wednesday morning and then to play in the park behind the library. Today Zealand paid no attention to story time. See from birth we have sort of tried to teach Zealand to be a lover. Hugs, snuggling, kisses, blowing kisses, gentle w/babies, sharing, etc. etc. You know the opposite of pushing, shoving, stealing toys from other children kind of kid. Well today was proof that he's learning to be a "lover".

Maybe too much of a lover?

There was a huge crowd of children at story time today and Zealand was thrilled. He was walking around trying to hold other kids hands and then he found two little girls that he just couldn't seem to leave alone. He kept wrapping his arms around them and laying his head on their shoulders. Then he would hold their hand and lead them to the book shelf where he would pick books off the shelves and hand them to the girls. Apparently it was all too fast for them because they were not too receptive to his gentlemanly gestures. But he persisted anyhow, until I had to physically remove him from the area they were in. Then he found another little boy that was much more welcoming and they sat at a table together and stared at each other for a while, ran over to the big picture window, gave it a few pounds, and let out a couple war cries (which I'm sure everyone in the library appreciated).

Okay now for my favorite part…

On the drive home I looked in the review mirror but could only see Zealand's face. His mouth was moving in the motions of chewing. I immediately turned around because I had taken his treats from him so I couldn't figure out what he must be eating. Then I laughed hysterically at what I saw; Zealand with his foot bent clear up to his face where he was carefully examining his sock, plucking lint from it and eating it. Yep, Zealand's afternoon snack: Gray sock lint. Tasty. I halfheartedly told him no, then just turned around and watched him do it the whole way home from the review mirror. Because after all he is a boy (I'm sure there are lots worse things he could and probably will eat) and it made me laugh really hard.

2 comments:

Monica said...

I just barely found out about story time at the library! Is it free? I think I want to take Lily so let me know what it's like. I hope Lily is a lover like Zealand hehe and I agree that he could be eating much worse than sock lint!

Anonymous said...

Feller...